About us#LabourWorks for Sunderland
Sunderland Labour Party is driving positive change for Sunderland, making every pound go further in the city.
Despite relentless Government cuts, we have continued to deliver for our residents with major job-creating developments, transforming streetscapes and cleaner, greener communities borne out of our work. We have delivered:
- A city and economy that is being bolstered by hundreds of millions of pounds of public-private sector investment
- Riverside Sunderland which is transforming the heart of our city, creating a new urban quarter, where 2,500 people will live, 10,000 people will work and hundreds of thousands will visit every year
- Improvements across the seafront, to deliver a vibrant destination for residents and visitors
- £60m support for Hillthorn Park, which will become a new business creating 1,600 new jobs
- International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP), a 150 hectare development that in turn is already beginning to create hundreds of jobs for local people
- A £59m programme to build the homes the city needs, and transform empty properties delivering much needed family homes, as well as a commitment to delivering new accessible homes for people with disabilities and vulnerable residents
- A growing reputation as a cultural hub, with partnerships like Sunderland Culture – of which the council is a key driver – helping the city to attract tens of millions of pounds of new investment
The cruel and calculated cuts we have seen from the Conservative Government have forced us to make difficult decisions. And with Coronavirus having left a black hole that the Tories refuse to fill, we will have to continue to prioritise well and ensure that we deliver on the needs of our residents, But, we have knuckled down and ensured that Sunderland is investing in its future – investment that will bring about the economic growth we need and deserve. All while keeping council tax the lowest in the region, something we’re committed to do.
Much of what we have fought for over the last few years is underway. We’re witnessing Sunderland change at a rate not seen since the eighties, but this time – despite the Conservative’s cynical attempt to starve the city of cash and keep us down – this is an upward march.
We want to see the positive momentum of the vast programme of redevelopment that is underway in Sunderland fuel pride and passion for the people of this city. Now, we are focused on delivering a healthy, clean and safe city that people can enjoy. You can find out more about the key policies we are hoping to drive through across the city, and find out about the ward councillor in your area, who will be fighting – as only Labour does – to deliver for your community.
Nationally, the Labour Party is leading a positive and progressive campaign, with politics that protects vulnerable people and enables social mobility – something we’re incredibly proud of.
Under Sir Keir Starmer’s leadership, we are fighting for a fairer society. One in which people of all backgrounds can succeed. In which the Conservatives are held to account for policymaking that prioritises the rich and fails hardworking people the length and breadth of the country. Sunderland has always been a city built on hard work – and our residents deserve opportunities. We’re fighting on their behalf – to deliver a more equal society for all.